ZFS support in custom u-boot build...

Alexander Dahl ada at thorsis.com
Tue Oct 10 13:00:14 CEST 2023

Hello Stacey,

Am Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 11:22:14AM +0100 schrieb Stacey Pellegrino:
> To all those of concern,
>
> I am in need of help regarding building u-boot with ZFS support for the
> Orange Pi 5 Plus.
>
> I have tried working out the following...
>
> https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/22ad69b7987eb4b10221330661db4427e40174fb/doc/README.zfs
>
> The URL link above specifies using the board specific config file, which
> for the Orange Pi 5 Plus is (so I believe)
> orangepi-build/userpatches/config-default.conf.
> I therefore edited this file in question with CONFIG_CMD_ZFS="yes" and
> uncommenting the line install_zfs="yes".

In that regard this README.zfs is somewhat outdated.  You should set
CMD_ZFS through Kconfig instead.  Which means: pick the matching
defconfig from configs/ subfolder, then run menuconfig and enable
CMD_ZFS, and build that.

Not sure if that Orange Pi 5 Plus is already supported by U-Boot
mainline already.  From a quick glance at the defconfig filenames I
would not know which to pick.

> However, it still does not allow me to boot with root ZFS on the NVMe SSD
> with the official Orange Pi Debian v12 (Bookwork) ARM image. ZFS does not
> seem to be referenced in the custom u-boot source code build output as
> well. I followed the build instructions located at the following URL link...
>
> http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiwiki/index.php/Orange_Pi_5_Plus#Compile_u-boot

Oh you should have told before.  This uses a custom build script not
part of U-Boot, probably to call U-Boot build.  Please contact that
project on how to change U-Boot config instead.  Or look at their
build.sh and figure out how it configures and builds U-Boot.

> ...but am I required to apply a patch to the u-boot source for ZFS support?
> If so, then that could be my problem. If a patch is required, then how
> would I go about applying this accordingly?

Although they seem to use an outdated and patched version v2017.09 of
u-boot: probably not.  Please try with enabling CMD_ZFS in your U-Boot
config first.  It's in the menuconfig, also in v2017.09 already.

Greets
Alex