Trying to boot custom kernel on Wink Hub (i.MX28)

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 17:50:18 CEST 2023

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 11:00 AM Rogan Dawes <rogan at dawes.za.net> wrote:

> I see absolutely nothing in the console.
>
> I’m wondering whether I can possibly execute the vendor SPL with a modern u-boot?

The old U-Boot vendor does not use SPL. It uses an old mechanism
called bootlets.

I suggest that we start from scratch with this imx28-wink-hub support
that I have just added:
https://github.com/fabioestevam/u-boot/commits/wink

To build it:

make imx28-wink-hub_defconfig
make u-boot.sb

Then try to load u-boot.sb via mxsldr.

If it still fails, then I suspect that the power management unit (PMU)
may be incorrectly configured causing the board to not power up.

Try playing with the CONFIG_SPL_MXS_PMU_ options.

>From configs/imx28_xea_defconfig, for example:

CONFIG_SPL_MXS_PMU_MINIMAL_VDD5V_CURRENT=y
CONFIG_SPL_MXS_PMU_DISABLE_BATT_CHARGE=y
# CONFIG_SPL_MXS_PMU_ENABLE_4P2_LINEAR_REGULATOR is not set