Can't get U-Boot working on Geniatech XPI-3566-ZERO

Mizsei Zoltán zmizsei at extrowerk.com
Mon Apr 8 09:40:31 CEST 2024

Hi,

I'm trying to get a mainline U-Boot running on the Geniatech XPI-3566-ZERO RK3566 based SBC [1], but all my attempts have failed so far.

The SBC doesn't have any SD-Card slot, please keep this in mind!

I can build U-Boot, but when I write the resulting binary to the eMMC using rkdeveloptool, the boot stops and I see no output on the UART pins using 1500000 baud transfer rate.

My steps were the following:

- git clone https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot
- cd u-boot
- CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu- ARCH=arm64 make rk3568_defconfig
- ROCKCHIP_TPL='rkbin/bin/rk35/rk3566_ddr_1056MHz_v1.21.bin'  BL31='rkbin/bin/rk35/rk3568_bl31_v1.44.elf' CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu- make
- rkdeveloptool db MiniLoaderAll.bin
- rkdeveloptool wl 64 u-boot-rockchip.bin

After that I can no longer communicate with the board via UART and it no longer boots.

I've built uboot countless times, I've followed all sorts of guides, I've tried modifying FDT and transplanting the DTS from the official SDK, I have tried vanilla defconfigs and tried to modify them aswell, I think I've tried everything, but no matter what I do I just can't get it working.
The vendored U-Boot works ok, but I plant to run OpenBSD, for which an upstream U-Boot would be better situated (according to the OBSD mailing list).

Please give me some hints because I'm running out of ideas. I've spent countless hours trying to get this to work but haven't succeeded.

Thank You very much!

Best Regards,

--Z--

[1] https://www.geniatech.com/product/xpi-3566-zero/