Can't get U-Boot working on Geniatech XPI-3566-ZERO

Jonas Karlman jonas at kwiboo.se
Mon Apr 8 21:31:28 CEST 2024

Hi Z,

On 2024-04-08 09:40, Mizsei Zoltán wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a mainline U-Boot running on the Geniatech XPI-3566-ZERO RK3566 based SBC [1], but all my attempts have failed so far.
>
> The SBC doesn't have any SD-Card slot, please keep this in mind!
>
> I can build U-Boot, but when I write the resulting binary to the eMMC using rkdeveloptool, the boot stops and I see no output on the UART pins using 1500000 baud transfer rate.
>
> My steps were the following:
>
> - git clone https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot
> - cd u-boot
> - CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu- ARCH=arm64 make rk3568_defconfig

There is no rk3568_defconfig target but generic-rk3568_defconfig may work better.

> - ROCKCHIP_TPL='rkbin/bin/rk35/rk3566_ddr_1056MHz_v1.21.bin'  BL31='rkbin/bin/rk35/rk3568_bl31_v1.44.elf' CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu- make
> - rkdeveloptool db MiniLoaderAll.bin
> - rkdeveloptool wl 64 u-boot-rockchip.bin
>
> After that I can no longer communicate with the board via UART and it no longer boots.

After looking at the specification for this board it looks like GPIO pin 8 and 10 is connected to uart1 and not uart2 that is typically used for debug uart on rockchip devices.

> I've built uboot countless times, I've followed all sorts of guides, I've tried modifying FDT and transplanting the DTS from the official SDK, I have tried vanilla defconfigs and tried to modify them aswell, I think I've tried everything, but no matter what I do I just can't get it working.
> The vendored U-Boot works ok, but I plant to run OpenBSD, for which an upstream U-Boot would be better situated (according to the OBSD mailing list).
>
> Please give me some hints because I'm running out of ideas. I've spent countless hours trying to get this to work but haven't succeeded.

You can try changing stdout-path to "serial1:1500000n8" and enable the uart1 node in generic-rk3568.dts.
Also change to CONFIG_DEBUG_UART_BASE=0xFE650000, and also use rkbin tools/ddrbin_tool and change to use uart1 on ddr bin.

After that you should probably start seeing something on uart and that may help you get a little bit further.

Regards,
Jonas