Capsule GUIDs and LVFS

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Apr 25 18:18:55 CEST 2024

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 05:13:21PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 at 16:16, Caleb Connolly <caleb.connolly at linaro.org> wrote:
> > I discussed an idea with Ilias to generate GUIDs dynamically based on
> > the board compatible/model, which seem to essentially just an
> > abstraction on this..
>
> Yup, that works too -- on the assumption the compatible string is unique enough.

This is where things are a little fun. In previous discussions, yes, the
machine compatible string should be unique. But it's not. Is it unique
enough for this case, today? No, since mechanism could be what's passing
the correct device tree to the OS. Might this in turn be what drives
people to fix the case? Maybe.

--
Tom