Capsule GUIDs and LVFS

Ilias Apalodimas ilias.apalodimas at linaro.org
Fri Apr 26 07:55:02 CEST 2024

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 05:16:12PM +0200, Caleb Connolly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 25/04/2024 15:46, Ilias Apalodimas wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 at 15:28, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all!

> > > Yes and no. Of course it's never okay for vendor A to use the same
> > > GUID as vendor B -- but if vendor A has two models of hardware (for
> > > instance model C and model D) they can have the same capsule GUID if
> > > the update can use a DMI match on the product SMBIOS key to identify
> > > the system.
> >
> > In theory, yes but we don't have any of these check in u-boot and I'd
> > rather avoid them and do it properly
>
> I discussed an idea with Ilias to generate GUIDs dynamically based on the
> board compatible/model, which seem to essentially just an abstraction on
> this.. But I'm wondering now if it wouldn't be better to do DMI matching.
>
> Like, if we have a GUID of some specificity (OEM, ODM, mach, whatever), and
> the DMI data (usually root compatible and model, but easily extensible and
> overriden by board code) then we can do the exact same matching, but with
> the added bonus of being easily able to tell what's up if something doesn't
> match. Generating a GUID from this data makes it way more difficult to
> figure out why the board doesn't match.
>
> But the issue there I guess is that the EFI spec only allows for identifying
> by GUID and not any other data...
> >
> > > Of course, it's much better if they have different GUIDs
> > > in the ESRT to completely avoid the chance of the wrong firmware being
> > > flashed on the wrong device.
>
> So expanding on the above a bit, the idea Ilias and I brainstormed was to
> use v5 GUIDs (which are deterministic based on a "salt" GUID and some
> arbitrary data which is hashed together). We would use the board model and
> compatible, as well as the firmware image name to generate these.
>
> Then for every board we want to support in LVFS we just boot it, dump the
> geenerated GUIDs, and use them. This makes changing the model/compatible
> strings a little bit annoying but it's workable.
>
> I feel like this is a "clever" solution to the issue of all these hardcoded
> GUIDs (and needing to add new ones for every board, even if the board
> otherwise requires no code changes in U-Boot). But it also feels kinda ugly
> in how it's just a worse version of the DMI matching fwupd can already do.

The DMI matching would need extra code in the capsule update code as well and
I can't remember on top of my head how we fill the DMI in U-Boot.
The capsule specific GUID is supposed to find a function in the firmware
of how to update the specified partitions. We now use a generic function
for all the boards which points to DFU, so all a board has to do is define
the proper DFU string.
I do like the idea of unique GUIDs better myself, since it's easier to
match the ESRT tables etc. But I'd like to hear more from board maintainers

Thanks
/Ilias