xPL terminology

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sun Aug 25 15:07:23 CEST 2024

Hi,

We have the term 'SPL', which has a dual meaning. It is both a
particular phase of U-Boot (the one that loads U-Boot proper) and a
generic name for any pre-proper phase.

You can see that in a few areas, but for example CONFIG_SPL_BUILD is
enabled for TPL and VPL builds, not just SPL.

I propose to rename the generic term from SPL to xPL (meaning any PL
phase), leaving SPL to just refer to the phase before U-Boot proper.

The symbol would be CONFIG_XPL but in documentation we would talk of
xPL, with a lower-case X, so it is more obvious that it refers to any
phase.

What do you think?

Regards,
Simon