Booting from NFSv4 file system?

Cedric Blancher cedric.blancher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 20:23:14 CET 2024

On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 at 13:32, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 at 12:18, Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Good morning!
> >
> > Does U-Boot support booting from a NFSv4 file system? Explicitly
> > neither NFSv2 or NFSv3 will work in our case, as both protocol
> > versions are depreciated and no longer allowed by our IT department.
>
> Not that I am aware of, at least not upstream, there is work being
> done to support booting using UEFI HTTP boot if HTTP is more straight
> forward for network booting.

HTTP is *USELESS* in this context, and comes with huge complications
(HTTP protocol diversity, absurd requirements, which are incompatible
to filesystem requirements, and security requirements like TLS, as no
IT department will deploy a bare HTTP server, only HTTPS).

So NFSv4 is the better bet.

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher at gmail.com>