Bootflows produce gibberish instead of readable output

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Thu Jan 18 20:18:00 CET 2024

Hello Simon,

The output below is taken from the sandbox. It seems somebody intended
to write a table. But with all these messages that don't belong into the
table the output is not very helpful.

Scanning for bootflows in all bootdevs
Seq  Method       State   Uclass    Part  Name                      Filename
---  -----------  ------  --------  ----  ------------------------
----------------
Scanning global bootmeth 'firmware0':
Hunting with: simple_bus
Found 2 extension board(s).
Scanning bootdev 'mmc2.bootdev':
Can't map file 'mmc1.img': Invalid argument
mmc1: Unable to map file 'mmc1.img'
---  -----------  ------  --------  ----  ------------------------
----------------
(0 bootflows, 0 valid)

If there is no bootflow, why is there a table output?

We cannot write a proper table if any other message interferes.

Why do we have so many messages with log level 6 = info. Such as
"Hunting with: simple bus".

Please, provide messages that clearly convey a meaning:

"Hunting with: simple bus"
Do you mean 'Scanning simple_bus for boot device'?

Best regards

Heinrich