[U-Boot-Users] Placing boot image an CompactFlash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 4 01:13:40 CET 2003

In message <EGEGIJHKDKJGAJMGIDPNIEEBCIAA.jwalden at digitalatlantic.com> you wrote:

> Still section 7.3.3. refers to PC-CARD devices, and the focus seems
> to be on PCMCIA - I do not have a PC-CARD device - just CompactFlash
> wired up for "true-ide mode" placed in a CompactFlash socket on the
> board - there is no PCMCIA.
>
> I have been able to make the IDE driver work in conjunction with the
> CompactFlash device.

If you have the IDE driver working there is no difference at all.

> Sorry if I was not clear last message, but the question is how to I get the
> Linux kernel on the CompactFlash device in the first place.

This is explained in the document I pointed you at. At ;east  one  of
the  many  options (using U-Boot's "ide write" command to write it to
"dick").

> I mentioned that I had a PCCard adapter for the CompactFlash that I can
> use to place the CompactFlash into the PCMCIA slot on my Windoze laptop
> just in case anyone needed to know.

What for? You have U-Boot and Linux, that's all you  need.

The only useful thing you can do  with  your  Windoze  laptop  is  to
install  an  operating system on it, something with "nux" or "BSD" in
the name :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Heavier than air flying machines are impossible.
                    -- Lord Kelvin, President, Royal Society, c. 1895