[U-Boot-Users] Enforcement of coding standards

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 7 09:11:58 CET 2003

In message <20030307062951.GD16290 at pengutronix.de> you wrote:

> No, the point was that these two // have been rejected, after lots of
> coding style patches I've sent have also been rejected because "they do
> not change functionality". Just for the record, I wanted to shut up
> about that :-)

Actually (from my point of view) there is some consistency  in  this:
if  functionality is not effected, I usually don't want to change the
code, not to the better and of course not to the worse either.

This is pretty often a selfish decision - please  try  to  understand
what I have to do when merging patches from many different developers
to maintain a certain degree of stability and reliability.

To understand a modification, or possible interactions between  unre-
lated modifications, I often run diff's over the source tree.

I try to actually run a certain set of regression tests (at least all
the examples in the DPLG document - these are generated automagically
when I run my test suite) at least on one board  for  each  processor
family,  plus  on  all  boards  for  which there is kind of a support
contract.

If there is any problem or change in behaviour I  find  myself  very,
very often to run diff's between versions.

Obviously, I am interested  in  keeping  these  diff's  as  small  as
possible.  Running  "cb"  or "indent" over a source file makes a diff
against earlier versions basicly useless.

When I resist to a global reformatting of all sources  this  is  pure
self-defense. I really _need_ the history in the source files.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
There are some things worth dying for.
	-- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7