[U-Boot-Users] Loading the Linux Kernel

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 11 00:10:57 CET 2003

Hi Jerry,

in message <EGEGIJHKDKJGAJMGIDPNOEPDCIAA.jwalden at digitalatlantic.com> you wrote:

> My board does not have an ethernet interface on it, so it seems that the
> only
> way I can copy m Linux kernel is via the loadb command - this works, however
> it takes about 15 minutes.

You must be doing something badly wrong. It should be  more  than  10
times  faster.  I  just  veryfied  that the download of a 606109 byte
image on a MPC8xx at a console baudrate of 115200 bps takes less than
70 seconds (1 minute 8.7 sec to be exact).

On faster systems, you can probably also up the console baudrate.

> I have a BDI-2000, can I run the bootrom init code, and then "halt" using
> the
> BDI, and then use the BDI to load the kernel image into ram?

Yes, of course you can. Run U-Boot, and when  it  displays  a  prompt
type  "halt"  at  the  BDI, then use the load command to download the
image, and then type "go" to continue in U-Boot (probably to  run  an
"imi" command to verify the download.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"It's like deja vu all over again."                      - Yogi Berra