[U-Boot-Users] Expanding the Linux Kernel

Jerry Walden jwalden at digitalatlantic.com
Tue Mar 11 22:49:12 CET 2003

Hello -

I have built my Linux kernel for the PPC 405GPr based upon using
Monta Vista Linux, and the BSP and tools that shipped with the
Monta Vista kit.

I have built the pImage target, and have a file called vmlinux.PPCBoot
on my machine.

First I power up the board and bring up u-boot.

Then I use the BDI-2000 to halt the processor.
Next I use the BDI-2000 to download the kernel as follows:
   load 0x010000000 vmlinux.PPCBoot BIN
Next I start the ROM Monitor up by entering the "go" command from the BDI.
   imi 0x01000000

the result is:

Image Name:		Linux-2.4.17-mvl-walnut
Image Type:		PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size:		590251 Bytes = 576.4 KB
Load Address:	00000000
Entry Point:	00000000
Verifying Checksum: ...ok

Now here is the problem - when I invoke the u-boot command bootm as follows:

bootm 0x01000000

The result is as follows:
Image Name:		Linux-2.4.17-mvl-walnut
Image Type:		PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size:		590251 Bytes = 576.4 KB
Load Address:	00000000
Entry Point:	00000000
Verifying Checksum: ...ok
Error: Inflate returned -3

If I drill down into the root cause of this message, I get to
a function called "inflate_blocks" in this function is the following code:

case LENS:
	NEEDBITS(32)
      if (((~b)>>16) != (b & 0xffff))
	{