[U-Boot] OMAP3 SPL: merge window question

Graeme Russ graeme.russ at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 11:39:40 CEST 2011

Hi Simon, Albert

On 18/07/11 18:47, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Le 18/07/2011 10:29, Simon Schwarz a écrit :
>> Dear Wolfgang Denk, Sandeep Paulraj and Albert Aribaud,

[snip]

> Personally, when a patch was initially submitted before the end of the
> merge window, I will accept subsequent versions of it and apply them
> even if they are submitted after the merge window has closed.

Provided they are either a simple rebase or an update due to mailing list
comments or a correction. After the merge window closes, do not use the
existing patches posted inside the merge window to sneak in new features

> Only, be sure to follow *all* rules for submitting new versions of a
> patch set as laid out in
> <http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/U-Boot/Patches#Sending_updated_patch_versions>
> . Particularly:
>
> - *always* provide history for *each* patch
>
> - *always* provide history *below* the commit message delimiter ('---')
>
> - *always* post version N of a patch "in-reply-to" version N-1.
>
> - *never* post a patch set twice under the same version. Even if you
> forgot some trivial thing like signed-off-by, repost with a *bumped up*
> version number (and provide updated history)

And if the patch is a part of a series, update the version of *all* patches
in the series (with a 'no changes' comment for any individual patches in
the series which have not been update). Nothing worse than a series being a
mix of various versions.

> Be warned that not respecting these rules will result in the patch set
> being NAKed (and, in turn, will force you to re-post a Vn+1 patch...)

Regards,

Graeme