[ELDK] en_US locale issue with ELDK 4.0

Michel Lamarche mlamarche at omnitrol.com
Fri Aug 8 18:29:01 CEST 2008

Hello All

We're having a issue with en_US locale when using ELDK 4.0. The issue is
descibed below.
Any onput would be appreciated

Michel

1.The issue we currently have with ELDK 4.0 product is, the package
provided along with glibc package does not include the distribution of
the english locales en_US directory and other english locale
directories.
     Inside our Omnitrol ELDK 4.0 setup, we do not see any en_US locale
directory inside the /usr/share/locale directory.
     Also when we try to check the same using the locale command on the
Omnitrol machine we just see that default locales available are only the
"C" and "POSIX"  as follows,
bash-3.00# export LC_MESSAGES=en_US
bash-3.00# echo $LC_MESSAGES
en_US
bash-3.00# locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
POSIX

2.We need en_US locale on the Omnitrol machine for setting the
LC_MESSAGES  variable to en_US as a testing environment requirement for
QA testing our product ported for Omnitrol with ELDK4.0.
Our test code requires LC_MESSAGES to be set to en_US to interpret the
diagonostic messages in english language.
export LC_MESSAGES=en_US as specified above.

3. We did not see this issue while using ELDK4.2 setup, i guess the
glibc package with ELDK4.2 included all the required locales directory
distribution.
DENX recommend to use ELDK4.2 stating ELDK4.0 is obsolete, does that
mean that they no more support ELDK4.0 customers further?, as we see
issues with ELDK4.0 which quite does not show up on ELDK4.2.

4.Can we get the ELDK4.0 package from DENX with the en_US locale
present, or is there a way we can install the missing locales seperately
in our ELDK4.0 Omnitrol setup which we are already using currently and
needed by Omnitrol?We do not have a ELDK4.2 setup now on the Omnitrol
box which was provided as we did refresh the setup and port with
ELDK4.0.
Kindly let us  know if you need further details.