[ELDK] bridge-utils on ELDK 4.1

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 9 01:05:14 CEST 2008

In message <FB2A2D2F36FC264282887DD51732C0200145C933 at magmsg03.ad.magnumsemi.com> you wrote:

> I need to urgently get the following bridge-utils command

If it's urgent, you may want to consider to hire an expert.

The free community help you can get here has no guarantee of being
fast.

> The bridge-utils are not included as part of the ELDK 4.1 toolchain.
> 1.	copied over "brctl" to <rootfs_dir>/usr/sbin from a Debian
> bridge-utils package compiled for MIPS (Big Endian)

You must not expect that this will actually work.  Your  Deb=ian  box
will  be  built with a different set of system libraries etc., so you
must assume thjat the binaries cannot be exchanged between Debian and
ELDK - at  least  you  have  absolutley  no  waranty  for  error-free
operation.

> 1.	But when I tried
>
> 	a.	"brctl addbr <bridge>", it gave me an error message:
> 	b.	"add bridge failed: package not installed"
> 1.	Linux 2.6.18 kernel on my MIPS (big-endian) target

You mentioned this was with ELDK 4.1 - why are you using that old
kernel then? ELDK 4.1 comes with Linux 2.6.19.2 ...

> 1.	How can I get the "brctl" from bridge-utils working on my
> configuration?  I need it rather urgently.

To be safe, I recommend to rebuild the tools from the sources. If
cross-building becomes a problem, try building on the native system
(using the NFS root environment).

> 3.	Or (!) will I have to recompile my kernel?

This is pretty likely, too.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"It's when they say 2 + 2 = 5 that I begin to argue."    - Eric Pepke