[ELDK] bridge-utils on ELDK 4.1

Suresh Bhaskaran Suresh.Bhaskaran at magnumsemi.com
Fri Aug 8 23:56:23 CEST 2008

Greetings:

I need to urgently get the following bridge-utils command

   "brctl addbr <bridge>"

 running on my linux (embedded) target.

The bridge-utils are not included as part of the ELDK 4.1 toolchain.

But I have tried a workaround, described below, which only partially
succeeded.

Any help would be welcome.

My work-around:

1.	copied over "brctl" to <rootfs_dir>/usr/sbin from a Debian
bridge-utils package compiled for MIPS (Big Endian)

2.	ran "brctl", which correctly gave me the

	a.	"Usage:..." and the "commands" list

Failed Message::

1.	But when I tried

	a.	"brctl addbr <bridge>", it gave me an error message:
	b.	"add bridge failed: package not installed"

My current configuration:

1.	Linux 2.6.18 kernel on my MIPS (big-endian) target
2.	Rootfs over NFS (built from ELDK 4.1)

My Questions:

1.	How can I get the "brctl" from bridge-utils working on my
configuration?  I need it rather urgently.
2.	Hopefully it is just a matter of copying (or installing) some
files on my rootfs?
3.	Or (!) will I have to recompile my kernel?

Thanks!

Suresh Bhaskaran