[ELDK] pthread / TQM5200 problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 1 22:31:39 CET 2008

Dear Sebastian,

in message <003d01c864e2$d7d8df40$0101a8c0 at tis> you wrote:

> Here's some additional information I forgot when originally posting my
> question today morning: I'm using the DENX ELDK 3.1.1 and a kernel version
> 2.4.25.

Note that the TB5200 is not really supported by  DENX.  Actually,  we
never  had  such a device in our lab yet. You might want to bother TQ
support about this. At least one of the guys is subscribed to the list
(hello Martin!).

The big question is: which *exact* version of the Linux kernel are you
running, i. e. which git commit ID is this?

Is there any chance that you are using  quite  obsolete  versions  of
U-Boot and Linux on your board? Or did you try a current code (top of
tree from git repository), with the same results?

You mentioned:

> "spurious wakeup" and "lost signal" problems. It runs 159 additional threads
> (that seems to be some internal limit), each of them continuously increments

This rings some bell to me. The "159 threads limit" probably  results
from  PCI  mappings that overlap with CONFIG_TASKSIZE. This can cause
mysterious reboots and other problems, when the process address space
gets exercised intensively (like big number of  simultaneous  threads
running, heavier contention for memory regions etc.).

However, that bug was fixed a long, long time ago  (September  1006),
so that would mean that you are actually running pretty ancient code:

commit 6eeffc3b55fb40fe650314051b8a5eae3a541ab6
Author: Marian Balakowicz <m8 at semihalf.com>
Date:   Thu Sep 28 15:35:20 2006 +0200

    Fix PCI mappings so they don't overlap with CONFIG_TASKSIZE

See http://www.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linuxppc_2_4_devel.git;a=commit;h=6eeffc3b55fb40fe650314051b8a5eae3a541ab6

I think you should just update your Linux kernel source tree from the
top of tree of the git repository and try again.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de