[ELDK] ELDK 4.2beta Feedback

Ludwig.May Ludwig.May at web.de
Wed Jan 30 18:48:53 CET 2008

Hello,

I am building an embedded linux system with a TQM5200S board on the
STK52xx platform. While doing this, I did some tests of the recent ELDK
4.2beta (Nov 2007) and compiled recent u-boot (1.3.1) and linux
(2.6.24-rc8).

Two issues I discovered:

-  /sbin/dtc is outdated

-  libc.so in SELF /ppc_?xx/images/ramdisk_images.gz is corrupted

Another issue applies to u-boot:

When building with ELDK 4.2, the compilation runs fine, but in the
runtime boot sequence, the u-boot cpu POST fails on b3 (branch test).
This may be due to some compiler optimization of the new gcc ???

Building the ELDK:

I tried to build the ELDK with the recent git sources on ubuntu 7.10,
although it is not supported. This works fine with most of the packages,
but the same issues as above apply to the result.

Some comments on the build scripts when running on ubuntu (maybe someone
is interested in it):

- ELDK_BUILD script: mkisofs parameter -P is not longer supported, use
-publisher instead (should be supported by older mkisofs, too).

- some packages (e.g. initscripts, iptables) require chkconfig, which is
not required on debian systems. There is a chkconfig for debian, but
this interferes with certain other debian packages, so I do not
recommend it.

- rpm complains about '/usr/share/info/dir.old.gz' left over when
building packages and terminates the build script. This affects the
target packages: bash, diffutils, flex, gmp, grep, groff, readline,
screen, util-linux, which.
A solution may be a patch of the corresponding .spec files, where
'/usr/share/info/dir' is already removed by a 'rm -f'.

- the cross package 'make' terminates the build script when failing the
make testsuite. This is due to an incomplete test (close_stdout) -> make
testsuite issue.

To build ELDK the following packages should be installed on ubuntu:

  git-core
  rpm
  patch
  linux-headers-generic
  make
  autoconf
  libtool
  flex
  bison
  gcc-doc
  automake
  linux-source
  g++
  libexpat1-dev
  libexpat1
  expat
  libreadline5-dev
  zlibc
  zlib1g-dev
  liblocale-po-perl
  libpopt-dev
  gettext
  global
  tcl8.4
  mkisofs
  doxygen
  texinfo
  gawk
  binutils-dev
  emacs
  tcsh
  docbook-utils
  docbook-to-man
  linuxdoc-tools
  groff
  libuser1-dev
  libglib2.0-dev
  comerr-dev
  sharutils
  libssl-dev
  postgresql
  libslang2-dev
  libnewt-dev
  python-dev

Additionally it may help to increase the the maximum open file count in
/etc/security/limits.conf ($user hard nofile 8192).

Best regards

L. May

--
Ludwig May, Schwalmstadt