[ELDK] Binutils 2.17 an issue for 2.6.26 kernel?

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Jul 17 21:21:18 CEST 2008

Hi Steven,

> I have been following a thread on the linuxppc-dev mailing list: [HOW]
> binutils-2.17 breaks the 2.6.26 kernel.
>
> I noticed that EKDL-4.2 uses a variant of binutils-2.17.  I personally
> have not had any problems with this (using kernel 2.6.25.4), but I am
> now curious:  Does ELDK already contain a patch for this issue, or
> should I upgrade to binutils-2.18?

ELDK does not yet contain a patch.  Also I would wait just a little
bit.  This is from an IRC discussion today:

<segher> a .26 kernel that is compiled with GCC < 4.2 _and_ binutils < 2.18
	 doesn't work
<segher> so we have a workaround that seems to work
<segher> i'll send it later today, please put it in -next ASAP
<segher> so we can send it to -stable for .1

So let's see if we really need a binutils update.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Indeed, the author firmly believes that the best serious work is also
good fun.   We needn't apologize if we enjoy doing research.