[ELDK] Binutils 2.17 an issue for 2.6.26 kernel?

Frank Svendsbøe frank.svendsboe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 09:55:41 CEST 2008

Hi

Here's some related information. I just tried to build .26 using ELDK 4.2
(gcc 4.2.2, binutils 2.17.50.0.12) and it fails. It successfully build
a cuImage
for an mpc8xx target, but it doesn't work. Late in the build stage, when running
strip and embedding the device tree blob into the cuImage, we get warnings
such as:

BFD: ./vmlinux.strip.12757: section .text lma 0xc0000000 overlaps previous
sections
BFD: ./vmlinux.strip.12757: section .ref.text lma 0xc01b2000 overlaps previous
sections
BFD: ./vmlinux.strip.12757: section .devinit.text lma 0xc01b28e4 overlaps
previous sections

The same toolchain builds 2.6.25 without problems. I've build a new toolchain
using binutils 2.18 and gcc 4.1, that successfully builds .26, so it seems the
problem must be related to binutils.

What is the workaround segher is referring to, and why not just upgrade ELDK
with binutils 2.18?

- Frank