[ELDK] pcap library and tcpdump in ELDK

stefano babic stefano.babic at babic.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 31 18:30:11 CET 2008

Dave Rensberger wrote:
> I've gotten beyond the issues with configure not being run the way I
> wanted to, but now I'm stuck on something that I think may be an issue
> with the ELDK openssl RPM.   Tcpdump's build process is looking for a
> file called "/usr/include/openssl/opensslconf-ppc.h".  A quick google
> search indicates that the regular fedora ppc rpm for openssl does indeed
> have a header file with this name, but in ELDK's openssl it seems to be
> missing.

Dave,

you are fighting with a spec file that was created and thought for the
Fedora distribution. Sometimes it is easier to start from scratch. Of
course, you can take a spec file as reference, but to generate a RPM for
an embedded system you must take into account some other factors, such
as configure cannot run test programs, footprint (probably you do not
want man pages..) and so on.
You are starting from an older version of both libpcap and tcpdump and
you want to apply several patches. However, if you take the last version
you do not need any patches, because they are already applied.

I have try to see if there are some hints with pcap/tcpdump for ELDK,
but there are not. As I said, it was easier to start from a blank spec file.

I have attached the two spec files for pcap/tcpdump I generated.
Maybe we can add these packages to newer releases.

Following Wolfgang's instructions, you can build the packages with
$CROSS_COMPILE-rpmbuild.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

--