[ELDK] Changing kernel in ELDK-4.2

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 1 11:51:45 CEST 2008

Dear Robert,

> Being a newbie to ELDK, sorry for some basic questions.

You are welcome - asking questions is what this mailing list is for.

> I am evaluating ELDK for powerPC mpc8323 rdb board and picked a version 4.2

OK.

> Now I am trying to figure out how to put my own kernel  (2.6.24 + RT-patch +
> more patches).

You just use it. The Linux kernel is just one building block and  is
pretty much independent of everything else.

> Most probably, I need to rebuild all from scratch.

No! You don't.

Just install your own kernel tree in any directory you like
(typically somewhere in your $HOME), and use the ELDK to configure and
build it.

There are NO changes needed to do that - neither to the ELDK nor to
your kernel tree.

> What are my steps to re-build ELDK-4.2 with my custom kernel?

You don't have to do that. Actually, you don't want to do that either :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Just Say No."   - Nancy Reagan
"No."            - Ronald Reagan