[ELDK] ELDK 4.1 PPC/4xx Strip Exit Status on Errors

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 4 09:54:11 CEST 2008

Dear Grant,

In message <C4E42EC8.116E0%gerickson at nuovations.com> you wrote:
> This is more of an FYI for the next release of the ELDK than anything else
> should this issue still exist in current versions of binutils.
>
> Today I ran into an unexpected bit of behavior in 'ppc_4xx-strip' when
> building a root file system and installation image for an embedded project.
>
> Specifically, I saw the following error:
>
> /usr/local/eldk/4.1/usr/bin/ppc_4xx-strip: unable to copy file
> '~/src/results/root/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8' reason: Permission denied

I confirm this problem, but it is not an ELDK specific one. It's instead a problem with

I tried the same on several host systems (from Fedora Core 6 through
Fedora 9), and all behave the same:

	$ cd /tmp
	$ cp /lib/libcrypto.so.
	libcrypto.so.0.9.8g  libcrypto.so.7
	$ cp /lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8g .
	$ chmod 0555 libcrypto.so.0.9.8g
	$ ls -l libcrypto.so.0.9.8g
	-r-xr-xr-x 1 wd wd 1351056 Sep  4 09:44 libcrypto.so.0.9.8g
	$ strip libcrypto.so.0.9.8g
	strip: unable to copy file 'libcrypto.so.0.9.8g' reason: Permission denied
	$ echo $?
	0
	$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/strip
	binutils-2.18.50.0.6-5.fc9.i386
	$ cat /etc/issue
	Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
	Kernel \r on an \m (\l)

	$

> My tool checks for EXIT_SUCCESS/EXIT_FAILURE from the ppc_4xx-strip
> executable and reacts accordingly; however, it turns out that the status was
> EXIT_SUCCESS, despite this error, so the tool continued merrily along.

I agree that this is not correct behaviour.

> So, this is easily worked around by fixing how the OpenSSL package installs
> its libraries; however, strip should return EXIT_FAILURE in this case.

Can you please file a bug for the binutils package at
http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The whole problem with the world is  that  fools  and  fanatics  are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
- Bertrand Russell