[ELDK] ELDK 4.2 with Kernel 2.4.25 (ppc_8xx)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 12 10:17:11 CEST 2008

Dear Heiko,

In message <32425011.1221206111570.JavaMail.ngmail at webmail14.arcor-online.net> you wrote:

> I tried to update my environment from ELDK 3.1 to ELDK 4.2:
>
> I made the properitary Software to compile with gcc 4.2.2.
> I made my kernel-tree (Vers 2.4.25 - based on ELDK 3.1) to compile with gcc 4.2.2

This will not work. ELDK 4.2 dropped backward  compatibility  to  2.4
kernels.

> On the target, I replaced the libs and binaries I got from ELDK 3.1 with them provided by ELDK 4.2
>
> When starting this system I get:
> FATAL: Kernel too old

Indeed.

> With some googleing I found out that this is a linuxthreads/NPTL issue.
> It seems, that the libc from ELDK 4.2 doesn't support linuxthreads, only NPTL.

That's correct. We don't support 2.4 any more. If you have to use a
2.4 kernel, we recommend to stay with ELDK 3.1.1.

> Is there any way to configure this or do I have to rebuild the crosstool package ?
> In short: What can I do to use a 2.4.x Kernel with ELDK 4.2? - I don't want update to 2.6 (yet).

If you don;t use a 2.6 kernel, you better not try using ELDK 4.2
either. Stick with ELDK 3.1.1 then, please.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
...when fits of creativity run strong, more than  one  programmer  or
writer  has  been  known to abandon the desktop for the more spacious
floor.                                             - Fred Brooks, Jr.