[ELDK] Kilauea support for SPI

Nathan French nathan.french at onrampwireless.com
Thu Aug 6 01:27:29 CEST 2009

First I must apologize, I don't think this is exactly the right forum
for this question but I couldn't find a better one.  I'm having trouble
finding an active forum/list for powerPC development.

I'm trying to enable SPI support on a Kilauea board so that we can
interface with an external processor.  I read thru
Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt and found an example for a
SPI device tree entry.  Using the 405EX user manual I came up with this:

            spi at ef600600 {
                cell-index = <0>;
                compatible = "fsl,spi";
                reg = <0xef600600 0x6>;
                interrupts = <8 4>;
                interrupt-parent = <0>;
                mode = "cpu";
                linux,phandle = <0xa>;
            };

I have also configured my kernel with some SPI options turned on:

        CONFIG_SPI=y
        CONFIG_SPI_MASTER=y
        CONFIG_SPI_SPIDEV=y

What I am seeing is that not only do the SPI devices (/dev/spidevN) not
get created but the eth0 fails to reset and does not come up.  I assume
I've done something wrong with the device tree which conflicts with one
of the ethernet entries but I'm not sure what I've done wrong.

Any advice, including "off topic, take it to X", would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nathan French