[ELDK] Kilauea support for SPI

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Aug 6 10:58:52 CEST 2009

Dear Nathan French,

In message <1249514849.3747.1625.camel at localhost.localdomain> you wrote:
> First I must apologize, I don't think this is exactly the right forum
> for this question but I couldn't find a better one.  I'm having trouble
> finding an active forum/list for powerPC development.

Hm... what exactly is so difficult here? If you just try the most
obvious thing that comes to my mind - i. e. google for "powerpc linux
mailing list" - you should find the right links without any problems:

> I'm trying to enable SPI support on a Kilauea board so that we can
> interface with an external processor.  I read thru
> Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt and found an example for a
> SPI device tree entry.  Using the 405EX user manual I came up with this:
>
>             spi at ef600600 {
>                 cell-index = <0>;
>                 compatible = "fsl,spi";

This looks awfully wrong. The 40x SPI controller is definitley _not_
compatible to those present in any Freescale processors.

I'd expect something like:

	 compatible = "ibm,spi-405ex", "ibm,spi"

>                 reg = <0xef600600 0x6>;
>                 interrupts = <8 4>;
>                 interrupt-parent = <0>;

This also looks wrong to me. I'd expect something like:

	interrupt-parent = <&UIC0>;
	interrupts = <8 4>;

> What I am seeing is that not only do the SPI devices (/dev/spidevN) not
> get created but the eth0 fails to reset and does not come up.  I assume
> I've done something wrong with the device tree which conflicts with one
> of the ethernet entries but I'm not sure what I've done wrong.

Indeed, your device tree entry looks seriously messed up.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Our universe is a fragile house of atoms, held together by the mortar
of cause-and-effect. One magician would be two too many.
                        - Terry Pratchett, _The Dark Side of the Sun_