[ELDK] HOW TO crosscompile Wireshark for embedded linux on v5fxt ppc_44x??

H Aslam hassan-aslam at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 13 03:02:41 CET 2009

Running fedora core 5 with denx eldk on my host.

I'm trying to cross compile wireshark for my target a ppc_44x (PowerPc440 - Avnet Virtex 5 FXT).I'm not sure what to do next. A BIT LOST!

I haven't quite understood why I was referred to section 3.7.2. in the manual.
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/ELDKRebuildingComponents#Section_3.7.2.

But here is what I've done up till now..

I have downloaded the source code from wireshark. And I have to run the configure script so that I end up with only tshark.

I work in the wireshark source directory and type the following commands:

export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_4xx-

PATH=$PATH:/opt/eldk/usr/bin:/opt/eldk/bin

Then I need to install the following in order to configure wireshark:

yum install bison

yum install flex

while running the configure script (to end up with tshark):

./configure --disable-wireshark --disable-editcap --disable-capinfos --disable-mergecap --disable-text2pcap --disable-idl2wrs --disable-dftest --disable-randpkt --disable-rawsharkI get the following error:

checking for pkg-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** A new enough version of pkg-config was not found.
*** See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/
configure: error: GLib2 distribution not found.

I believe that I shouldn't do a "yum install glib2-devel" as it will install a native version of glib2-devel. Which I guess I don't want to do.

Should ELDK have a cross-development version of pkg-config?

Is this a step in the right direction? Or does the cross compiling part start before these steps?

I have successfully cross compiled a helloworld.c file and run it on the v5fxt!

How do I set up a cross-building environment for a GLib-based application such as TShark?