[ELDK] To compile ELDK from scratch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 15 12:13:19 CEST 2009

Dear Ashutosh Sharma,

In message <530169.15649.qm at web53802.mail.re2.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> To build ELDK from source using Red Hat 7.3 root file system.
>
> These days it is difficult to find PC with IDE HDD. So installation of Red =
> Hat 7.3 is not possible on these. I faced this problem too.

Indeed.

> Using the root file system with qemu is vary painful task as it is very spe=
> ed.

It's not that bad. Make sure to use kqemu; we measye about 70% slower
spoed than one the raw hardware, which is acceptable given modern
processor speeds - it's still faster than on an old mainboard that
supports RH7.3 directly ;-)

> To compile ELDK from scratch I am using openSUSE 11.1 and the root file sys=
> tem of Red Hat 7.3

I'm not sure if this works. A 2.6 kernel has a number of issues with
such an old file system.

> 9. Open a new shell and change the root to the folder where root file syste=
> m of Red Hat 7.3 is present.
> # chroot ~build/eldk (as root)
>
> 10. Now in new root system will be using kernel of the host system and tool=
>  chain from red hat 7.3
> #cd /opt/eldk
> #./ELDK_BUILD
>
> I used the above mentioned system to build tool chain for PPC successfully.
>
> Hope this will help you :)

And this really works??

I will definitly try that out. Thanks for the hint.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Plan to throw one away. You will anyway."
                              - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"