[ELDK] Problems rebuilding ELDK-4.1 from scratch (RCS keyword expansion)

J.T. Conklin jt.conklin at xorp.net
Wed Mar 25 19:52:27 CET 2009

Hi Wolfgang,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear "J.T. Conklin",
>
> In message <6c5c8a400903181907v6254719yebe704f160fe1175 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> These patches are applied to SRPMs.  But when the SRPMs are unpacked,
>> those source files have RCS Id's with contents (like $Id: ... $)
>> instead of $Id$,  and those won't match what's expected by the patch.
>> So the patch utility will fail to apply the patch, and then the build
>> stops with an error.
>
> It seems you are right - in the git reporsitory, all the ID strings
> are gone. I think something went wrong when we imported the old CVS
> repository into git. I will have to figure out how this can be
> mended. This may take a little while. Sorry.

Thanks for looking into this.  There is no need to rush on my behalf.
Thanks to your RH 7.3 root filesystem image, and the patch I sent the
other day to resolve the RCS $Id:$ issue, I was able to successfully
rebuild ELDK 4.1.

FWIW, using FC 5 and RH 7.3 as installed from the ISO's did not work.
The FC 5 build failed in running  a RPM script that invoked tar -- the
version of GNU tar is different and it tripped over the order of
command line arguments.  The RH 7.3 build failed during the build
verifying the "magic" database for the file utility.  It complained
about not matching the "regex" keyword, although the code clearly
checks that.  I haven't fully characterized the problem.  When I get a
few spare moments, I plan to re-try the build and see if there are any
compiler/library differences between your root filesystem and a virgin
RH 7.3 install (perhaps you did some updates on your system before
freezing the image?).

I ended up using QEMU instead of VmWare as I originally planned.  I
was able to convert the filesystem image to a *.vmdk, used an online
*.vmx generator.  This allowed me to load the kernel, but evidently it
didn't have Buslogic or LSI SCSI controller drivers in order to mount
the root filesystem.  While learning a new virtualization technology
wasn't in the original plan, I benefited from the experience.

In the fullness of time, I think it would be useful for the RCS id
issue and the availability of SRPMS to be addressed in the git repo,
as it would help anyone else who finds themselves on the same road
I've been traveling these last few weeks.  Thanks again for the
assistance during this journey.

    --jtc