[ELDK] enabling USB Host controller on ppc405ex based board

Jignesh Patel jignesh.patel at onrampwireless.com
Tue Nov 3 04:10:19 CET 2009

Hi,

We have Kilauea based board using ppc405ex. & it has usb-otg tranciever chip on it.

I am trying to enable USB Host Controller Driver in linux kernel (version DENX 2.6.27-stable).  For this to be enabled, I also have to enable PCI in kernel config.
But when I load the kernel uImage with both USB Host Controller & PCI options selected in kernel config, the board doesn't boot up properly. Boot process halts after loading device tree.

When I load the kernel without PCI options selected, kernel boots up properly.  But removing PCI config option also removes USB Host Controller options in kernel.

My questions are:
1. Why is PCI config required for USB Host Controller options to be enabled in kernel config?
2. What needs to be done to boot our board with PCI & USB enabled kernel?

Best regards,

-Jignesh