[ELDK] plans for new ELDK release? (was: Re: Does the latest version of ELDK is 4.2)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 17 09:02:49 CET 2009

Dear Anthony,

In message <gvdh9my7t.fsf_-_ at dworkin.scrye.com> you wrote:

> Are there any plans to update ELDK and its build requirements to a
> more recent base?

Yes, there are plans. But we are not sure yet what to use as software
base for a next version, and we don't  have  any  comitted  deadlines
yet.

> (Fedora 7 is 2.5 years old, and you've implied that using software 4
> years old is ridiculous.  Fedora is currently at version 12.  Also,

Heh. It hasn't hit the FTP servers yet.

I am well aware of this. On the other hand, GCC 4.2.2 as used in ELDK
4.2 is pretty stable and "bug-free". We have seen  some  issues  with
more  recent  versions of GCC, especially with GCC 4.2.x and later on
ARM which still makes me hesitate to update.

> having read your application note about how to rebuild ELDK via KVM
> and friends ... ouch.)

Well, that's a tribute to our attempt to support even older releases
(like old versions of RHEL or SLES) that are in use (with little hope
for updates) in the IT infrastructure of some of our customers.

> My personal interest is that I'm using some fairly modern features of
> C++, and this might eventually require a more current GCC than that
> shipped with Fedora 7.

I understand. But as mentioned before, it's a narrow path between
stability and recent features. At them moment I tend to be a bit more
conservative for the sake of stability.

But we are definitely customer driven. We will implement any specific
features a customer asks for on a commercial base (i. e. if  he  pays
for [at least parts of] the required effort).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
READ THIS BEFORE OPENING PACKAGE: According to Certain Suggested Ver-
sions of the Grand Unified Theory, the Primary Particles Constituting
this Product May Decay to Nothingness Within the  Next  Four  Hundred
Million Years.