[ELDK] Modifying Load Location of Ramdisk

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 18 20:01:23 CET 2009

Dear Jonathan Haws,

In message <BB99A6BA28709744BF22A68E6D7EB51F03312D4286 at midas.usurf.usu.edu> you wrote:

> > First, you should think (or explain) how your "DMA memory reservation"
> > is supposed to work. Eventually you might want to use the "protected
> > RAM" feature in U-Boot, which also allows to pass the Linux kernel a
> > "mem=..." argument so it does not meddle with this memory area.
>
> Sorry, I left that tidbit out.  The idea is that I will pass a
> "mem=..." option to the kernel as a boot argument. I will look into
> the protected RAM feature of U-Boot.

Just add '#define CONFIG_PRAM xxx'  to  your  board  config  file  to
reserve  xxx KiB of "protected RAM"; note that the size given is just
a default value  which  can  easily  be  adjusted  using  the  "pram"
envrionment  variable.  This  makes  it trivial to adjust the size as
needed.

> > In addition or alternatively you might want to check out the
> > "initrd_high" environment variable - see the U-Boot "README" for
> > details.
>
> This is also something I may consider.
>
> Thanks for the information.

You are welcome.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
My play was a complete success.  The audience was a failure.