[ELDK] Native compiling freezes with swap over nfs!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Nov 29 19:38:14 CET 2009

Dear Bastian,

In message <4B127E43.2070409 at max01.eu> you wrote:
> Hello,
> while native compiling a source code which makes use of libtool
> on an arm target (OMAP-L138) i got the following error:
> [<c006dea4>] (oom_kill_process+0x7c/0x200) from [<c006e418>]
> (__out_of_memory+0x160/0x184) [...]
>
> It looks like there is not enough memory.

Correct.

> So i tried to mount a swap - file over nfs and do the following steps:
> Compiling the code again, freeze!

I'm not really surprized. Compiling code natively with file system
mounted over NFS is a simple, but very efficient stress test for a
system. It exercises all many different areas of the system: memory
(including burst mode accesses), task management / context switching,
DMA, network, etc. If a system passes such a test, you can be pretty
sure that it will pass other tests as well.

Adding swap over NFS adds additional stress on the system.

> What's to do to stop the system blocking?
> What's to do to get a running swap over nfs?

Try if you can compile some smaller source packages natively. This is
to rule out the possibility that you might have for example memory
issues, like memory corruption under heavy load when accessing the RAM
in burst mode. If this works reliably, you can be pretty sure that
you run into a kernel bug. Report it on the respective mailing list
resp. to the people who provided this kernel tree.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen  and  stupi-
dity."