[ELDK] Native compiling freezes with swap over nfs!

ng at max01.eu ng at max01.eu
Mon Nov 30 07:07:29 CET 2009

Dear Wolfgang Denk,

thank you for your response.

> Try if you can compile some smaller source packages natively. This is
> to rule out the possibility that you might have for example memory
> issues, like memory corruption under heavy load when accessing the RAM
> in burst mode. If this works reliably, you can be pretty sure that
> you run into a kernel bug. Report it on the respective mailing list
> resp. to the people who provided this kernel tree.

To make sure i understand your statement:

I native compiled some other source packages successfully before.
(Thats my favouried way to get packages done for the target, not really
fast but without cross_compiling headaches.) And that works quite good
so far. In the package in question a lot of code compiled successfully
before, too. I am pretty sure that a package with frugal memory
consumption (no swap needed) will compile successfully.

So you say:
Creating a swap-file over nfs like described in this thread is OK
and should work without problems.
If not (with blocking issues for example) there could be a kernel
problem.
Is that correct?

Best Regards,

Bastian Ruppert.