[ELDK] Native compiling freezes with swap over nfs!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 30 09:48:14 CET 2009

Dear "ng at max01.eu",

In message <1645288163.131931.1259561249136.JavaMail.open-xchange at oxltgw04.schlund.de> you wrote:

> I native compiled some other source packages successfully before.
> (Thats my favouried way to get packages done for the target, not really
> fast but without cross_compiling headaches.) And that works quite good
> so far. In the package in question a lot of code compiled successfully
> before, too. I am pretty sure that a package with frugal memory
> consumption (no swap needed) will compile successfully.

OK. I just wanted to be sure, but this certainly sounds as if your
hardware was running OK.

> So you say:
> Creating a swap-file over nfs like described in this thread is OK
> and should work without problems.
> If not (with blocking issues for example) there could be a kernel
> problem.
> Is that correct?

Yes. You are certain that your hardware works, and that the NFS server
works - otherwise you should have seen issues with the other builds as
well.

Now all the rest - task and memory management, swapping, network - is
part of your kernel. If this is broken, it is almost certainly a bug
in the kernel code.

Note that this may be not a new bug; there is very few people who test
such a configuration, and issues may go undetected for a long time.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth  and  Know-
ledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."  - Albert Einstein