[ELDK] Starting an application at boot time using different tty<x>

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 30 14:58:53 CET 2009

Dear "Orditz, Jonathan",

would you please adhere to basic netiquette and restrict your line
length to some 70 or so characters? Also, please no not post HTML.

In message <51381B6BAD346D40809491F8A60FBFB47583DC2A at SELEX01.selectron.local> you wrote:

> I have two questions concerning:
> 1. Starting a script at boot time
> 2. Displaying system messages on tty<x> and the output of my applications o=
> n tty<z>

None of these questions have anything to do with the ELDK, so you are
kind of off topic here.

> 1. Starting a script at boot time
>
> I have to start two applications (a microbrowser and a webserver) at boot t=
> ime. I wrote a script called start.sh which call these two executables. I a=
> dded this script at the end of inittab: "::once:/start.sh". The two applica=

Please keep in mind that you have to provide complete information if
you expect useful answers - the way how to start commands at boot time
depends a lot on which type of init procedure you are running -
System V init is different from Upstart , which again is different
from BusyBox init, etc.

It seems you are using BusyBox here...

> tions started but I noticed a drop in the performances compared to starting=
>  the applications manually. Do you know why ? Are any priorities set low wh=

Please define exactly what "a drop in the performances" means?

> en starting from inittab ? Is "inittab" the right place to start my "start.=
> sh" script or is there a standard place to start it from ?

This depends on what you are trying to do, of course.

There is many ways to acchieve a certain goal,  and  without  knowing
your  exact  requirements  it  is  impossible  to  tell what the best
solution might be - for example, it mith make sense to start  "impor-
tant"  or  "urgent"  services earlier than other, less critical ones.
Say, you want to have the GUI running as fast as  possible,  while  a
login over network is not that important and can be delayed.

We don;t know your requirements, so we cannot give you
reqommendations.

> 2. Displaying system message on tty<x> and output of my applications on tty=
> <z>
>
> When I start my system a microbrowser directly writes into the framebuffer =
> and displays my html pages. But the system also writes to this framebuffer =
> (for example when connecting an USB stick, or when the reboot of the system=
>  is done, or when an error occured, etc...). But I do not want the user to =
> see the linux system messages. So I would like to separate the output of my=
>  applications and the system messages. But how do I tell the system to put =

It is you who defines where the console terminal is connected to.

> its messages to tty1 and not tty0 ? How can I switch automatically between =

Pass a suitable "console=" command line argument to your kernel.

> the tty0 view and the tty1 view ? (I have no ALT + F1 keys on my embedded h=
> ardware, so I must find another way to switch).

You must define some other way to switch, then. We don't know your
hardware ...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Fantasy is like alcohol - too much is bad for you, a little bit makes
the world a better place. Like  an  exercise  bicycle  it  takes  you
nowhere, but it just might tone up the muscles that will. Daydreaming
got  us  where we are today; early in our evolution we learned to let
our minds wander so well that they started coming  back  with  souve-
nirs.   - Terry Pratchett & Stephen Briggs, _The Discworld Companion_