[ELDK] [DNX#2009093042159] Question for eth0: pause enabled with Canyonlands Board

camel joe camel4joe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 02:11:32 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:17 AM, DENX Support System <support at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Joe,
>
> Thank you for your request.
>
> You wrote:
>
>> I just got this new Canyonlands board and cannot make the network
>> working with my normal LAN setup.  I have narrowed down the cause (I
>> hope) to "eth0: pause enabled".
>>
>> Can someone there explain to me why?
>
> Are you sure you have valid MAC addresses set for your board?

I am not sure.  But I have not modified the value of MAC address at
all and I supose it should be good.  (see the log file for the MAC
address)

> Can you please send me a full log including all console messages from
> power-on (i. e. the full U-Boot startup including all commands you
> enter to boot linux [please also include the output of the "printenv"
> command for your board], followed by the complete log of all Linux
> kernel boot messages).

The full log is attached as a file.

>> I suppose the ethernet "pause" a good feature.  But some device in my
>> LAN setup must have messed up this good feature with Canoynlands,
>> since the exact LAN setup has been working correctly with other boards
>> like Makalu, Kealauea, and Marvel boards.
>>
>> Other interesting observatin is that if I use a older switch in the
>> setup, Canyonlands will not show "pause enabled" and the network is
>> working correctly.
>
> What is the exact difference between these two switches - are these
> 10/100 or 10/100/1000? Are these "dumb" or managed switches? Which
> sort of link status do they show - link speed, FD or HD? What are the
> exact models?

The newer swtich is Linksys SD205, a 5-port swtich for 10/100Mb, with
which the Canyonlands board has a problem, and the booting shows a
line "eth0: link is up, 100 FDX, pause enabled".

The older switch is an HP ProCurve Switch 2524, a manged swtich for
10/100Mb, with which the Canyonlands board is working correctly with
the network setup, and the booting shows a different line "eth0: link
is up, 100 FDX".

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Thanks for the help,