[ELDK] Kernel Panic - not execute /bin/init

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Oct 1 10:47:11 CEST 2009

Hi Kim,

> J.Hwan.Kim wrote:
>> Hi, everyone
>>
>> I created JFFS2 root file system with ARM ELDK4.2
>> I used the command like this fror JFFS2 image :
>> mkfs.jffs2 -U -l -d rootfs -D rootfs_devices.tab -o root.jffs2 -p -e
>> 0x4000 -n
>>
>> My boot command is like this :
>> root=/dev/mtdblock3 rw rootfstype=jffs2 init=/bin/sh console=ttySAC0
>>
>> The root file system seems to be mouted but shell is not executed.
>> Please tell me how I can solve the problem.
>>
> Problem is solved.
>
> When I used ARM ELDK4.1 instead of ARM ELDK4.2., it works fine.
> Could you tell what is the difference between two versions?

ELDK4.1 on ARM still uses the old ABI, whereas ELDK 4.2 uses the new GNU
EABI.  You surely need compatible libraries and a kernel supporting the
new ABI when switching to ELDK 4.2.  This is recommended however.

Note also that (as already noted on this list), an EABI kernel with the
option "old ABI compatibility" enabled is only considered to be somewhat
of a hack, as full compatibility to the old ABI seems not to be
possible.

Besti wishes
  Detlev

--
Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, "Why me?", then a voice
answers  "Nothing personal,  your name just happened to come up."