[ELDK] Network packet filtering

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Fri Dec 3 13:56:12 CET 2010

On 12/03/2010 12:32 PM, Luigi Rizzi wrote:
> Hello,
> on my system , a TQM885D module with U-boot 1.3.0-rc2 and kernel 2.4.25, I need some network packet filtering capability.
> First of all I recompiled the kernel with "Network Packet Filtering" option enabled.

I think you are moving slowly to the final point when, against all your
efforts, you will be constrained to update your system and your kernel....

> Than, according to DULG document, I downloaded the package  iptables 1.3.8-2, installed and rebuilt the RPM with:

You are using (from previous post) ELDK 3.1.1, and you are downloading
the package provided with ELDK-4.2 (iptables-ppc_8xx-1.3.8-2).

Normally this does *not* work, and if works, you are alone to test it.

Probably it will be better to find an iptables version (I do not know
which one, maybe a 1.2.x version) that better matches your environment
and your kernel. Please note that a lot of features were introduced
after Kernel 2.6.9, and it could be that the feature you are searching
is missing if you want something more as forwarding ports or filter
incoming packets.

> At the end of this process I found in /sbin  iptables, and in /lib a /iptables directory.
> I copied this files on my target system, but when I tried to use iptables I found:
> ./lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./iptables)
>
> On DULG I found that crosstool 0.43 target package provides glibc 2.6.
> Could you tell me if I have to download and build also this package?

This is not a good idea. Each ELDK was generated and tested using a
consistent snapshot for all packages. Mixing libraries can generate
unknown effects, specially if the library is the libc.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de