[ELDK] How does eldk create a rootfs?

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Mon Jun 21 11:55:06 CEST 2010

Johan wrote:
> Hi

Hi Johan,

> I'm trying to understand how eldk can help me create a rootfs.
>
> But even after I read the documentation I still don't really
> understand the eldk "work flow".
>
> Let's say I just would like to create a rootfs with
> - a linux kernel
> - busybox
> - some config files.
> - a custom application

You can take a look at the online documentation:

http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/RootFileSystemDesignAndBuilding

Up now, the method starts with a small-subset (SELF), and you can add
then the files you need for your target.

However, you can use the ELDK Root Filesystem Builder (RFSB). It is not
part of ELDK iso, you have to download it yourself from the git repo:

git clone git://git.denx.de/rfsb

> My problem is probably that I don't really understand the idea behind
> the eldk-rpm,
> I got the impression that the eldk-rpm will "install files onto my rootfs".
> But that don't seem to be the case.

Eldk installation process installs files in a rootfilesystem, that can
be mounted over NFS. However, during ELDK installation all RPMs are
installed and the Filesystem is very large. For example, you can even
use native compilation on your target, and surely you do not need gcc,
header files, and so on in the final product: you need only a few of the
files you can use on the development system, and you must decide how
they match with your target's resources (RAM/FLASH).

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de