[ELDK] SPI Configuration and Driver for Sequoia

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 16 09:27:52 CET 2010

Dear Jason,

In message <8f9e78f01003152354g2952dafcp79e815224c06909a at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> We're investigating development of a SPI driver for the Sequoia
> evaluation board we've been working with. We've been having some
> difficulty getting the correct kernel and device tree configuration so
> that the spi port is even recognized at start-up.

The Sequoia board is fully supported in mainline, i. e. there should
be no problems using it no matter if you use the standard kernel.org
source tree or the DENX provided repository.

The driver you are looking for is in drivers/spi/spi_ppc4xx.c, see
commit 44dab88e7cc99d1d2ca

> I see you guys have done some work with this in the past, but I'm not
> certain all the right driver patches were ever committed to the DENX
> or mainline kernels.

Yes, they have.

> We've tried several variations in the kernel configuration and device
> tree, replacing IIC1 with a SPI0 entry - but still have had no luck.

The Sequoia DTS has no SPI entry, because there is no SPI device
available on the Seqoia board. If you add something, you probably
have to add something like this (warning - untested):

	SPI0: spi at ef600900 {
		device_type = "spi";
		compatible = "ibm,spi-440epx", "ibm,spi";
		reg = <0xef600900 0x00000007>;
		interrupt-parent = <&UIC0>;
		interrupts = <0x8 0x4>;
	};

I think you will also have to add some GPIO entries to implement the
device select signals.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When in doubt, mumble;   when in trouble, delegate;  when in  charge,
ponder.                                             -- James H. Boren