[ELDK] glibc change for eldk 3.1.1

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Mar 26 13:38:11 CET 2010

Hi Levend,

> Yes you are right. pthread_mutex_* functions are available in
> LinuxThreads. Indeed, we are using that pthread functions in our
> tcp/ip server on ppc also.
> But that mutexes can be used for intra process synchronization, namely between threads.

Ok, I'm getting lost here.  Threads are per definition defined on a
process basis.  pthread_mutex is also a construction which I fail to see
how to share it between processes.  Can you show me exactly what you
want to do here?

> You can build BerkeleyDB+openldap with ELDK 3.1.1. But when you run
> them, BerkeleyDB says "function not implemented". Since it needs inter
> process
> synchronization.

Well interprocess synchronization is _per definition_ outside of threads
as the latter are defined on a process basis.  For interprocess
communication we have other primitives like SysV IPC, shared memory,
etc.

> I think POSIX pthread standard talks about mutexes which can be used
> inter process synchronization,

Can you show me such a wording?  This would be news to me.

> but LinuxThreads implementaion of pthreads does not have this kind of
> mutex.  I suspect NPTL has. Even if I could add NPTL support, maybe
> the result would be same for openldap.
>
> BerkeleyDB needs synchronization between multi processes. Its
> configure script says many alternatives for --with-mutex switch such
> as
>
> POSIX/pthreads
> POSIX/pthreads/private
> POSIX/pthreads/library
> POSIX/pthreads/library/private
> Solaris/lwp
> UI/threads
> UI/threads/library
> 68K/gcc-assembly
> AIX/_check_lock
> Darwin/_spin_lock_try
> ALPHA/gcc-assembly
> ARM/gcc-assembly
> HP/msem_init
> HPPA/gcc-assembly
> ia64/gcc-assembly
> MIPS/gcc-assembly
> PPC/gcc-assembly
> ReliantUNIX/initspin
> S390/cc-assembly
> S390/gcc-assembly
> SCO/x86/cc-assembly
> SGI/init_lock
> Solaris/_lock_try
> *Solaris/_lock_try/membar
> *Sparc/gcc-assembly
> Tru64/cc-assembly
> UNIX/msem_init
> UNIX/sema_init
> UTS/cc-assembly
> *x86/gcc-assembly
> *x86_64/gcc-assembly
> UNIX/fcntl
> win32
> win32/gcc
>
> I tried many but the result does not change too much.

I do not understand what you are doing here, sorry.

> So my question turns to "is there any one running openldap on ppc
> using 2.4 kernel ?"

Now that is a good question, but I cannot answer it.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Alles hat heutzutage seinen Gipfel erreicht, aber die Kunst, sich geltend
zu machen, den hoechsten.