[ELDK] MC852T upgrade

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Nov 20 14:50:54 CET 2010

Dear Levend Sayar,

In message <4CE7BE6F.3050006 at karel.com.tr> you wrote:

> Anyway, does this mean 2.4 kernel based ELDK toolchain don't have
> support for these cpus ?

Correct. MPC8308, MPC8315 and the like are not supported in 2.4
kernels.

> If so, do you plan to add this support to there also ?

No. 2.4 kernel development stooped many years ago. Support for recent
processors will only be available in current Linux 2.6 kernel
versions.

> Since our boards depend on 2.4 kernel and converting them to 2.6 kernel
> based environment
> means a lot of work right now.

Please consider that you are switching to completely new hardware,
all new technology. With the new CPU and new periphereals you will get
new device drivers and also a new kernel tree. This is only natural,
and unavoidable.

I think you have to face it: Linux 2.4 is dead and gone.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
C++ is the best example of second-system effect since OS/360.