[ELDK] MC852T upgrade

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Nov 21 15:21:52 CET 2010

Dear Levend Sayar,

In message <4CE8D9A1.2070006 at karel.com.tr> you wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. When we started our project, we had two choices
> 2.4 and 2.6.
> Mainly our choice is based on your post about the comparison of these
> two kernels.
> You strongly recommended 2.4 for embedded systems at that time.

Yes, that's true. Compared to 2.4, the 2.6 Linux kernel is fat and
slow, especially when you run it on systems of the MPC8xx class, i. e.
running at 50...66 MHz CPU and even more important, bus clock.

> I just wonder. Are your points still valid for the comparison of these
> two kernels or 2.6 kernel became a better kernel for embedded ?
> I mean do you still recommend 2.4 for embedded system for today ?

The points are basicly still valid. Some things have improved, others
have bencome even worse. But then, MPC8xx has long ago reached the
state where it would no longer be used for new designs - today you
would probaly use a MPC83xx system, with way better performance and
same or even better price. Or even switch to another architecture
like ARM.

Linux 2.4 is a dead horse, and it makes absolutely no sense to me to
use this for any new project, or to invest erfforts into making it
usable for a new project. Please use a recent 2.6 kernel, and
consider using hardware which has not yet reached it's EOL.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Intel told us the Pentium would have "RISK" features...