[ELDK] SNMP for ppc8xx w/very little flash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Jan 2 07:31:51 CET 2011

Dear Eran Duchan,

In message <AANLkTi=OCdAD2TNV1A+WzVJyrRgPqn+5hTCVjwr34dHy at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I've ported u-boot and linux 2.6 to a custom ppc8xx based board and
> everything runs fine. I am using a jffs2 image based on the SELF ramdisk,
> and have about 1.5 megs of free space on this device.

Depending on your requirements (partition size, need for a writable
file system etc.) there might be better options than JFFS2...

> I'd like to add an SNMP agent, supporting very few standard MIBs (core would
> suffice). I understand that the eldk has an SNMP package, but for some
> reason it seems to pull in a lot of libraries (librpm, for example?). In

Well, for a resource-restricted embedded system it has never been a
good idea to install complete packages with all the (potention)
dependencies these may pull in.  Just install the tools you really
need.

> addition, its MIB library is 2 megs so it's pretty much out of the question.
>
> Therefore:
> 1) Am I right to assume that I can't use the SNMP package from the eldk in
> my case?

Probably not - when you insist on installing whole packages (which
makes little or no sense on a resource-restricted system.

If you know what you need and pick exactly the needed files only the
result may be different.

> 2) Is my only course of action compiling net-snmp using eldk,
> following the net-snmp
> faq <http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ:Compiling_04> regarding
> reducing footprint?

This is always an option - but even then, you don;t want to install
the whole packages either.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de