[ELDK] segmentation error while using libraries from ELDK 5.1

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Apr 24 09:16:31 CEST 2012

Dear "Gorelik, Jacob (335F)",

In message <406600FA-1987-49E2-A37D-81B133A38E27 at jpl.nasa.gov> you wrote:

> We are using Linux kernel 3.3.2 on a PPC750FX based board compiled
> using ELDK 5.1 tools. When we try to use libpthread.so.0 from ELDK
> 5.1 we get segmentation fault; however, when we try to use
> libpthread.so.0 from ELDK 4.2 everything works fine. Is it a setup
> error, or we need to recompile the library?

What do you mean by "use this (or that) library"?  You cannot just
pick one library from one setup and "use it".

You always have to build your software using one tool chain, using the
corresponding header files and linking against the matching libraries,
and then run the result in the corresponding root file system.

So if your application was working in ELDK 4.2, you must rebuild /
relink it using the ELDK 5.1 tool chain, and then run it in the
context of a ELDK 5.1 root file system, using 5.1 libraries only.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The complexity of software is an essential property, not an  acciden-
tal  one. Hence, descriptions of a software entity that abstract away
its complexity often abstract away its essence.    - Fred Brooks, Jr.