[ELDK] Booting rootfs over NFS stops after linking Phy

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 30 09:19:07 CEST 2012

Dear Axel,

please do not top post / full quote (see
http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html).

In message <b562448e5fb8a0d8bdae3ff83e0435d32128285a at webmail.freenet.de> you wrote:

> I try an old working SELF from the eldk311 to test if the nfs
> connection was the prob. But this FS was mounted. With this new 3.1.5
> Kernel and the not 100% fitting tq5200.dtb.

OK, so it appears the kernel is working.  Now focus is on the root
file system and the NFS server setup.

> Could it be that the Yocto FS are not bootable over nfs? Do i have a
> look for special things like permissions and other things?

We use these images over NFS all the time - and for the kernel it does
not make much of a difference what the underlying file system type is;
NFS or ext* or xfs or whatever (assuming some minimal requirements are
met).

I don't know much about your setup, so I can only speculate... Either
something went wrong when installing the root file system, or there
are problems with your nFS server configuration.

- Did you try a fresh installation of the root file system?

- Try running a network sniffer when booting, and check which NFS
  accesses are done, and where the booting stops.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quote from the Boss... "I didn't say it was your fault.  I said I was
going to blame it on you."