[ELDK] Yocto/ELDK build directory path

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 10 12:09:09 CEST 2013

Dear Larry,

In message <CB6015ED-4DFD-49F4-89E0-06C4B303061B at usgs.gov> you wrote:

> I've downloaded the git repository for ELDK, and I'm working my way
> through the steps at http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/EldkBuilding.
> In the step
>
> $ TEMPLATECONF=meta-eldk/conf source oe-init-build-env
> /opt/eldk/build/${BUILD_NAME}-armv7a
>
> I received an error message that /opt/eldk/build does not exist.  That
> is true.  I have been working in /opt/eldk-5.4/eldk (where the ELDK .git
> directory is located).  There is no build directory already there
> either.

/opt/eldk-5.4 is the defualt location for the installation of the
build results.  You can of course also use this for building, but I
recopmmend against it; I usually try to keep downloads, build tree and
installation directories separated.

> It occurs to me that before I make a mistake, I should ask whether the
> Yocto/ELDK build directory must not be in the git tree.  Similar to the
> prohibition to build gcc in the source tree.  Does it matter where the
> build directory is located?

The default locations as used in our setup are /opt/eldk/downloads for
the downloads directory (DL_DIR variable in local.conf) and
/opt/eldk/build for the build directory (selected by the argument when
running "source oe-init-build-env").

Feel free to change these to your liking.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
That Microsoft, the Trabant of the operating  system  world,  may  be
glancing  over the Berlin Wall at the Audis and BMWs and Mercedes. In
their own universe Trabants and Ladas were mainstream too...
                                                   -- Evan Leibovitch