[ELDK] Yocto equivalent of chkconfig --del?

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Fri Aug 23 10:36:32 CEST 2013

Detlev,

On Aug 23, 2013, at 1:05 AM, Detlev Zundel wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
>> Thanks to Stefano, I have a modified generic-armv5te core-image-basic
>> with NTP and chkconfig included.
>
> Excellent.
>
>> I am content to leave the NFS client features for the time being, but
>> I do not want any NFS server or RPC ports open.  From what I can tell,
>> the nfs-utils package provides the NFS server, as well as the NFS
>> client mount utilities.  So, I cannot to any package pruning; I must
>> configure the nfsserver.
>
> If you only want to do NFS mounts, you can include "nfs-utils-client" in
> the image.  This does not pull in any server.

That is useful information.

I am trying to customize the core-image-basic rootfs, since it seemed to be almost exactly what i need.  The core-image-basic rootfs recipe include nfs-utils.  Thus, I am limited to disabling the nfsserver service.  Is that not correct?  If there is a method to remove nfs-utils and add nfs-utils-client, that is what I am trying to accomplish.

I just finished a build where I added meta-eldk/recipes-extras/nfs-utils_1.2.7.bbappend containing one line:

INITSCRIPT_PARAMS = "remove"

I was hoping this would override the INITSCRIPT_PARAMS = "defaults" in meta/recipes-connectivity/nfs-utils/nfs-utils_1.2.7.bb.

My impression is that a .bbappend is textually appended to its .bb file, which is then parsed as a single file.  I assumed my assignment to INITSCRIPT_PARAMS would replace the original.  However, I see in tmp/buildhistory/packages/armv5te-linux-gnueabi/nfs-utils/nfs-utils/latest.pkg_postinst

	update-rc.d $OPT nfsserver defaults

This is the line I was trying to override, but my plan did not work.  (I assume this script gets called to enable the nfsserver service init scripts in the rootfs image.  I planned to fool it into doing a remove instead.)

I chose this method because I do not think it would be possible to undo the inherit update-rc.d in meta/recipes-connectivity/nfs-utils/nfs-utils_1.2.7.bb to avoid running update-rc.d altogether.  That would accomplish the same thing since the nfs-utils do_install_append() creates the nfsserver /etc/init.d script.

Is this a rational approach?  What am I doing wrong?  It takes 3 hours for the build to compete to find out my plan did not work.  Am I correct in my reasoning that a .bb and .bbappend are effectively concatenated, then parsed?  That is what I hoped would happen to use my INITSCRIPT_PARAMS for nfs-utils.  Is there a bitbake command that will show me whether it is using my .bbappend?

Too late to try anything different tonight.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

> Cheers
>  Detlev
>
> --
> Restrict Digital Restrictions Management:
> If you can't copy it - don't buy it
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
> HRB 165235 Munich,  Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
> Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-40 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: dzu at denx.de

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608